Message from Rev. Melanie for April 2022

"When they had finished breakfast, Jesus said to Simon Peter, ‘Simon son of John, do you love me more than these?’ He said to him, ‘Yes, Lord; you know that I love you.’ Jesus said to him, ‘Feed my lambs.’ A second time he said to him, ‘Simon son of John, do you love me?’ He said to him, ‘Yes, Lord; you know that I love you.’ Jesus said to him, ‘Tend my sheep.’ He said to him the third time, ‘Simon son of John, do you love me?’ Peter felt hurt because he said to him the third time, ‘Do you love me?’ And he said to him, ‘Lord, you know everything; you know that I love you.’ Jesus said to him, ‘Feed my sheep." --John 21:15-17

I was speaking with a friend last week who grew up near Skyland Church.  She now lives near me in the valley, but she still has many friends and a part-time job in the mountain community.  She spends a lot of time helping her childhood friends and others she has met over the years.  A few months ago when she was helping out a friend, the friend sent her to the church to get some food from the pantry and she was floored by what she found--plenty of food, coffee, paper products, and so much fresh produce. Then another of her friends sent her for food and another.  She was gushing about how the people in the mountain community appreciate the welcome they receive at the pantry and how much they appreciate us for providing food without making people feel less than for needing food.

The conversation above from the Gospel According to John took place after Jesus' death and resurrection as part of the final conversation between the risen Jesus and Peter.    Jesus ask Peter three times, "Do you love me?" and three times Peter replies, "Yes, you know that I do."  

Think about that question.  When we ask, "Do you love me?" it is shorthand for "Do you love me enough to do this extremely important thing?"  What did Jesus want from Peter that was so important?  Jesus didn't ask Peter to build a beautiful church even though he had once told Peter that he was the cornerstone on which the church would be built.  He didn't ask Peter to worship him.  He asked Peter for one thing--to feed his sheep.

Now there are a lot of metaphorical ways to feed Jesus' sheep, including building and maintaining beautiful buildings and worshiping together. These are important ways of connecting with people and tending our spirits. But in this case we cannot leave out the literal meaning either.  Jesus calls us, as did the prophets before him and many prophets after him, to feed sheep, to provide food for the hungry, clothing for the naked, warm presence for the lonely.

I am grateful that this is what we are known for in our community, for providing food without shame, clothing without disapproval, friendly conversation without judgement.  This is what love looks like.   

--
Rev. Melanie Weiner
Senior Minister
Skyland Community Church
___________________________________________________________

Skyland Community Church, United Church of Christ
25100 Skyland Road
Los Gatos, CA 95033
phone: 408-353-1310
USPS mail: Skyland Church
P.O. Box 245
Los Gatos, CA 95031-0245
Website 


Popular posts from this blog

Finance Team Update August 2021

eGiving Information

Message from Rev Melanie May 2021